Friday, March 17, 2006

A new route

I recently got a new job. I was going to get all creative and post both Mapquest "driving directions" maps, but let's just say--for simplicity's sake--that my commute just got 1.2 miles longer. For the past six months I have been working at a shoe store in downtown Missoula. With clear, dry roads it takes me about 7 minutes to ride downtown if I'm riding at what I call my "flying" pace. When I'm riding at my "cruising" pace, it takes about 12 minutes.

I just started working at a dance studio/dance shop on the northwest side of town. I'm not sure why, but I had mentally prepared myself for a much longer commute to work. The first day I biked in I gave myself one whole hour. This is amazing, considering I normally give myself 5 minutes for a 10-minute ride to my old job. I ended up riding at a comfortable pace, arriving happy, unrushed, not sweaty. . .30 minutes early for my new job.

This brings me to my epiphany of the week. I am a far happier cyclista when I allow myself plenty of time to get where I need to be. I have time to admire the beautiful sky, snowy mountains, squirrel scurrying up a tree, etc. I am not as agitated by rude/inattentive drivers and every red light that I know is conspiring against my timely arrival to work. I'm sure many other cyclers have already figured this out, but it's new to me! I think no matter where I'm riding, I'll give myself 30 minutes more than I'll think I'll need.

Ah, life on a bicycle (when lived properly) slows life down enough for me to enjoy it as much as I should!

-rachel

(btw, cyclista is joe/rachel spanglish for "female bicycle rider")

4 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

I like to do the same thing you do. I've ridden off the road more then once because I was looking at some birds or an interesting rock outcropping:-)

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger The Old Bag said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

Agreed...it's worth gettng up a few minutes early (or putting-up with the scramble at home to get out the door early, which seems a bit counter productive) for the peace that comes from a relaxed commute.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Scott Clark said...

Hi, Rachel--nice new blog! Just found this from the link on Joe's page.

Have to agree about going slow and looking around. Being stylish while doing has proved to be more of a challenge! :)

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

I wish my commute were longer...
hey
I know some of those people
small blogsphere
very small blogsphere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home